Yes, I'm finally coming down to blog about this event! =)
When I first got to know about this event from my friend who is one of the LP103 team member organising this, I was very excited as it was such a meaningful thing that I had always wanted to be a part of. I immediately sign up as a volunteer to facilitate the chronically ill kids from Club Rainbow. However, I also felt that organising this event is going to be really tough. My friend told me they are aiming for $3K amount of funds initially and I thought it was impossible...
But inspired by my friend's optimism, I put faith on it and decided to help her in realising this dream. So I started helping to source for venue sponsors, and then for photographers, buses and other logistics + fund raising. During the fund raising flea, only $200+ was raised and again, the target seems impossible. Along the way, more and more expenses were predicted & the funds target continue to rise to almost $5 or 6K. We continue working hard to publicise the event.
A few asked me why I was helping so much when I'm just a volunteer and not part of the organising team.. Honestly, I don't think I help much at all. I just do what I can along the way but the team themselves are really the ones doing much more than what they could do.. So the success of the event was really based upon the sweat and blood of this team. =)
A night before the event, I was feeling pretty excited and anticipative, wondering who my kid will be and how he/she will respond to me. I wanted to really make my kid's day awesome and memorable but a part of me fear that I can't wow the kid. I decided to give the kid a gift at the end of the event and was wondering what to get. But finally I got down to making a 2012 Diary for the kid. After packing all the things needed like mosquito patch, hat & umbrella for the kid in case it gets too sunny, I went to sleep with a smile on my face. =)
The next morning, I woke up early (earlier than necessary probably cuz too excited) but still reached Pruhall late because of some last minute delay.. >.< There were 3 groups in total and I was allocated to the Carrot group. The venue was really well decorated with colorful balloons everywhere.. (I almost forget, who don't love balloons?) =) Finally met the kid I was allocated to! His name is Jagdish and he came with his aunt. He's very shy and hardly spoke anything else other than "yes" and "no". I started asking him questions about himself and he's so shy! He only look at his aunt when he replied while his aunt kept telling him to look at the person who's speaking to him (who is me). To break the ice, I decided to give him a nice paper clip that I prepared the day before to cheer him up and that really did break the ice! =P (For kids, presents always works!) After we got on the bus and started heading to Bollywood Veggies, we finally had a real conversation. That is when I got to know Jagdish better.
Jagdish is 11 years old, born on 29 September. His favourite color is red and he likes to draw. He doesn't like Powerpuff girls (neither do I) cuz he thinks it's too girlish. He likes to play computer games too. And the chat went on and on... I told him I'm very timid and asked if he could protect me if we get lost. He said he will, and only once. Lols... He said if we meet bad guys, he will stand up, just once, for me. Even if it's just once, the innocence of kids, so sweet! =)
When we reach, we started with lunch, followed by the baking session, which was really great fun! The kids were challenged to do all the things themselves with us guiding them along. It was really nice to see the kids trying hard and then their expressions of happiness and satisfaction when they got it done. =)But what made it more touching was that when others drop by to chat with Jagdish, he got all shy and started looking at me as he responded to others. Aww he had found a form of support & trust in me.. Moreover, another memorable thing was the other kid at my table group. I think his name is Ahish. His family is very cheerful n happy-go-lucky. Despite their child's illness, they still appear very happy and excited. I could feel the family's bond and love from the way the husband jokes and laugh, and the wife picks up the jokes and laugh too.. It suddenly reminded me that admist our busy and sometimes complicated lives, 幸福还是简单的快乐.
After the baking session and having flour all over us, we cleaned ourselves up and headed for the farm tour. The weather was so good that the sky was all clear and the sun was scorching hot. Nice aunt got a cap for Jagdish but no cap for herself. So I opened my umbrella to shelter her. Under such heat, I don't think anyone can tolerate without any shade. Farm tour was again, very fun. I learnt more about edible and inedible banana plantations, plant dye, lime, beanspouts, and other vegetables. The farm tour was short but we all had enough from standing in the Sun already. Lols..
The last station was the Potting session where the kids and volunteers will get to plant their own vegetables. It was really enjoyable and I took home 2 plants (1 donated from my fren who doesn't want to take home the plant).
Finally, the outing to Bollywood veggies was over and we headed back to Pruhall for finale. =)
Back at Pruhall, I was amazed by the amount of food that LP103 prepared for us. There had already been drinks, ice cream and lunch at Bollywood Veggies. But back at Pruhall, there's snacks and Mr bean drinks again + a huge cake for everyone to enjoy! It's really a WOW day! =D Each kid got to take home a big bear too. How sweet! =)
Towards the end of the event, it's time to present Jagdish his "wow" day graduation gift - the 2012 diary I made for my kid! I pulled Jagdish to my side and told him "Jagdish, if you can recall 3 things about me, I have a gift for u!" At this moment, my 2 awesome photographers OQS & Branden started snapping & snapping photos of this 'memorable' moment but this unfortunately sort of intimidated Jagdish a little and he got all shy again and cldn't say a thing except for smile. So I decided to hold it off a while and give him the gift later when less people are around.. Time to say good bye. Though he eventually still didn't say the three things that he remember about me, but I hope I've somehow made a difference in his life. =)
Jagdish's story (from his aunt): Jagdish had some muscle disorder that prevented him from being able to move himself without feeling pain or fatigue. As there is currently no cure for such an illness, he's wheelchair bound for life. His mother had passed away and his father is hospitalised, hence his aunt is taking care of him now. His aunt is really amazing, so patient and kind looking after Jagdish so well.
On 19 November, I gave Jagdish a call. Again, a shy voice answered "yes" to all questions.. Hopefully, despite his handicap, his heart will stay strong and happy always.
------it all takes the courage to believe------ ; {1:54 PM}
Likes...
Art: sketching, painting
Music: country, soft rock
Sports: skate, cycle, dance
Movies, Books: adventurous, meaningful, inspiring
Nature: Sightseeing
Making a difference
Fantacise her life like Anything but Ordinary.