Tonight, I got to know 2 auditors who died of fatigue from working in Big 4. When I first heard about this, I thought it was just some random gossip. But after I start to hear more about it and went online to check then I realised it's true. =( Given my experience in the same line, I'll share some thoughts here..
Reading the article, I can somehow understand what the people were going through.. I do see friends who are really loaded up to their neck with work... I think the girls' situations were worst. Some ppl can take it, some really can't.. and it's not necessary that those who can only work shorter hours (I mean around 10 hours) are just lazy or incapable or weaker. It's not a matter of who is more hardworking but a fact that not everyone is as healthy to endure such pressure and OT, not everyone has a good immune system to stand long hours. Different ppl got different sleep requirements too. I've friends who can go without sleep and still look okay but I also have friends who can't go without 7 hours of sleep.. Besides focusing on getting the work done, I think everyone on the team should also look out for each other and remind each other to have sufficient rest esp. when they don't look too good.. Normally and luckily, so far I heard and know that most ppl in my firm do look out for each other and are nice enough to remind each other to get enough rest.. Still, the damage done during peak for those who are not able to stand it can be quite mmm.... That's where you should know your limit and rethink about ur career.
Ppl may find the news unbelievable and surprising.. But from what I've seen, heard and been through, I know that it is possible (90% chance) tt their death are due to fatigue from work. I know there are ppl out there who are enthusiastic performer and would go all the way out to do their best. That is their dream career path. However, it is also important for everyone to know his/her limit.. Can't just work and work without giving your body a rest.. Should know when to draw the line and tell urself and/or ur manager that you need a break. Health always come before work. As the chinese saying goes: 现在休息一会, 为了将来可以走更远的路.
What I find disappointing is that the article said the company deny it was work that caused the girls' death.. I hope this is not true because I was v surprise and felt that this seems kinda irresponsible.. Of coz, nobody could have directly caused the girl's death. It is not possible for anyone to force a person to work to death in such a society today.. But given the pressure and her aspiration to excel, it is possible and understandable of what she is gg through.. Sometimes it had to do with peer pressure too; no matter how tired you feel, if the rest are staying late, u wld feel obliged to stay too eventhough ur body is not taking it as well as the rest... I felt sorry and sad that she realised too late that such a working life is causing her so much more. I'm not sure whether what the article said is true but I hope not. I just felt that a company ought to accept it if its employees were hurt in the process of work as acknowledgement and appreciation of the employees' contribution & sacrifice to the firm. Or at least say that they are investigating the situation and will try to see how to improve the situation and ensure worker's health safety etc... There was a recent story about how a bangladesh worker sacrificed his life by swerving the crane to prevent it from hitting my faculty's lecture room rather than running to get out of the crane first.. In the end, he couldn't escape in time...
It's not possible to change situation for auditors but I hope that all of us can just learn a few things here... That we must know our limit and just pushing on forward may not be the best thing in the long run. That at times when we admire the strong, we must also be understanding and emphatise the weak..For not everyone is perfect. That health is more important than work. If your health is not good, how to work in the long run?
So far my seniors and managers had been quite nice & humane to us. I still find the work tolerable tho at the sacrifice of time and work-life-balance.. But honestly speaking, after seeing what the work hours is like, I know that this is not what I want in the long run... Will be living my career dreams elsewhere I guess..
------it all takes the courage to believe------ ; {12:53 AM}
Likes...
Art: sketching, painting
Music: country, soft rock
Sports: skate, cycle, dance
Movies, Books: adventurous, meaningful, inspiring
Nature: Sightseeing
Making a difference
Fantacise her life like Anything but Ordinary.