My sister got me the perfect Christmas gift, The Rules of Love by Richard Templar. And for that, I am thankful.
When I first receive the gift, I thought “Why would anyone want to live their life following an instruction manual? What a waste of money… (The book is not cheap) Besides, love should come naturally. It’s odd to follow rules to perfect love. Right? No?”
Knowing my sister meant well and seeing her so excited, I said my thanks but still wondered how good the book can explicitly write about love, love that can be so complicated and varying to infinity degree.
My mum walked round, got curious and flipped through the book. “Looks good gal, you shld get down to read some of this.”
“Yes sis, you got to read it! I’m sure you’ll like it!”, chirped my sister.
“Okay sure I will definitely get down to reading it! Thanks, that was very thoughtful.” I smiled, with curiosity rushing through me as I wondered what the book has installed for me.
So the book lay on my shelves for a week, and then two… And I finally got down to reading it today. (I thought I should stop watching dramas as they are such a waste of my time sometimes.)
So I started on the first page:
“… Love between people almost always has its complications. Because people are complicated.” (True. How true is that. lols) I read on…
“Love can be tried and tested and stretched to its limits...” (How familiar) “… Sometimes we love the wrong person. We can love too much, or not enough.” (agreed) “We can feel it but not know how to show it. We can think love is enough, when actually it isn’t. We can struggle to find it – or be unsure if we’ve found it or not. And sometimes we think it’s still there, but we can feel it ebbing away and don’t know how to restore it to its full glory.” (absolutely)
I laughed. What an amazing paragraph. I’ve found almost everything ever written about love to be true. (as quoted from ‘The Holidays’) And this could probably be a good start to understand better what love is all about. After all, the author did say his rules serve not as bewildering revelations but as good gentle reminders.
So I read on excitedly and true enough, the book did not disappoint me! I’m already through 20% of the rules (skipping here and there though). Some I read and smiled with acknowledgement of guilt. =P Some I read and heaved a sigh of relief as I was being assured of being on the right track; knowing what I’m doing is right. Some I read and laughed, thinking omg how true is that…
So to readers out there, if there’s any book that you feel you should not miss reading, I say that it would be this book. Surrender to the truth that sometimes we need an instruction manual to know better what is right and what is wrong. To get assurance, to be reminded, and to have enlightenment. ;)
------it all takes the courage to believe------ ; {3:34 PM}
Likes...
Art: sketching, painting
Music: country, soft rock
Sports: skate, cycle, dance
Movies, Books: adventurous, meaningful, inspiring
Nature: Sightseeing
Making a difference
Fantacise her life like Anything but Ordinary.